Monday, January 04, 2010

10:10 Campaign

I signed up to the 10:10 Campaign, which is a commitment to reduce your carbon emissions by 10% for 2010. So I decided to use some carbon calculators to work out our carbon emissions. I tried the Guardian's Carbon Calculator and the Government's Act on CO2 calculator.

I was surprised to find a very big difference in the results. According to the Guardian Calculator we produce 10.51 tonnes of CO2 per year, but the Government's calculator gives us a figure of 5.47 tonnes per year. The national average according to the Guardian's site is 15.4, the target for 2010 is 14, and for 2050 is 3.

I'd like to think that our actual figure is 5.47, but I think for the purposes of this attempt I'm going to pick the higher figure (I suspect that they are both inaccurate) because this means I have to save 1 tonne as opposed to 0.5 tonnes.

No comments: